Skip To Main Content


Were you an ALC student and moved since last year?

Are you New to the Duluth Public Schools?

If your answer is yes to either of these questions we are required to verify your legal address.  When turning in your enrollment paperwork you will need to bring in the student's BIRTH CERTIFICATE and ONE of the following items for this verification:

  • Property Tax Statement (for home owners)
  • Signed Lease (for Renters)

Who qualifies and how do I enroll?

  • Students must meet one or more of the state eligibility guidelines.  Please see the "Indicators of Need" listed on the Referral form.

  • Referral/Enrollment forms are required every year and are available in the following locations:
    • ALC Main Office (Tech Village, Suite 450)
    • Home School's Guidance Office
    • Links provided at the bottom of this page.
  • Students interested in Credit Recovery are required to have a counselor-signed enrollment form from their home school.
  • *Please note:  Counselors are required to complete and sign a Continual Learning Plan (CLP) for each student.  (see back side of the referral form)
  • Students who are referred to ALC with 504 Plans or an IEP will work with our Special Education staff and building administration to review individual needs.

Traditional Seat-based program:  

  • The ALC Diploma Program is open to students ages 15 to 20 who meet one or more of the state eligibility guidelines.
  • Students are required to attend classes Monday through Thursday, 8 am to 3:48 pm.
  • This program follows a traditional 6 period school day.

Independent Study/Credit Recovery program:

  • Students must be at least 16 years old and meet one or more of the state eligibility guidelines.
  • Students ages 16-21 that need to earn credit(s) required for graduation and/or who have failed a required course for graduation are eligible.
  • Students who have fallen behind in their graduation credits and are currently enrolled in another area high school would be dually enrolled with ALC in these programs.

How many classes can a student take?

  • Each student can earn one (1) full credit or two half (.50) credits at a time.  After successful completion of the course, the student may discuss, with their counselor, starting another course.

How often do I need to come to school?

  • Students are required to complete all of the coursework with a 60% passing grade
  • Student must attend school at least 19 hours for every .50 credit needed.
  • Teachers are available Monday - Thursday, 3:30 - 5:00 pm.

How long will it take to complete a course?

  • The length of each course varies greatly as it depends on the amount of time and effort the student puts in as a learner.

What is difference between Credit Recovery and Independent Study?

  • Credit Recovery is a retake of a course that a student has failed and if they pass they will be awarded the credit. Credit Recovery is outside of the school day.  Independent Study is a student independently works on self-paced course work and is considered a full-time student.

2023-2024 Area Learning Center Enrollment Forms

Please complete the enrollment you are interested in:

This form if you did not attend an IDS709 school in the 22-23 school year, or if you have moved since you last enrolled:

And ALL of the following forms: